Searching HowNow is quick and easy.
- Click on one of the tabs in HowNow.
- Enter search words in the search entry field. You do not need to press Enter. HowNow automatically searches when you stop typing.
- If you need to further narrow your search, where available click on a filter in the left pane.
- In the Knowledge area, multiple filters can be selected if you hold down the Ctrl key as you click the additional filters such as Topic, Procedural Area and Document Type. There are different views available including All, My News, My Favourites, My History, My Review, All Review as well as showing active/inactive documents and various editions of documents.
- In the Records section drop-down lists allow records to be filtered by the client contact, employee role, record status (All, Draft or Final) and added, created, modified or finalised date ranges.
Note: HowNow deliberately restricts the number of records it displays to reduce network traffic. Records will not be displayed unless at least one filter is active.
- Check the number of documents or records found. This number is displayed in the Status Bar at the bottom of the screen (e.g. “61 document(s) found”). You can scroll through the search results list using your mouse and the scroll bar on the right of the screen, or by using the up and down keys.
- Opening documents. To open a document, record, contact, job or task, press Enter when its row is highlighted, or double-click the row.
- Clearing search results. To clear the current search results, either press the Esc key or click the “x” button to clear the search terms. Click the clear filter option to reset the default filters.
Filter selections remain when moving between tabs to enable efficient use of each area of HowNow.
Advanced Search Tips
Search operator “AND”
When you type two or more words into the search entry field, HowNow assumes there is an AND between the words. For example, if you type in leave planner, HowNow searches for document profiles that contain BOTH the words “leave” and “planner”, but not only the phrase “leave planner”.
Searching for phrases
To search for document profiles that contain only a particular phrase, type quotation marks around the phrase. For example, type “leave planner”, not leave planner.
Search operator “OR”
To search for document profiles containing ANY of the keywords you enter, type or between the keywords. For example, if you are searching for Items in HowNow that contain EITHER “leave” OR “planner”, type leave or planner into the keyword entry field (i.e. include the “or” between the words). Do this now, and notice the different search results you get searching on leave or planner compared to searching on leave planner.
Search operator “NOT”
To search for documents that contain a particular keyword, but NOT another particular keyword, type the NOT operator between keywords when searching in HowNow. Also, NOT can be used before a keyword to display all items except the specified keyword. For example, entering courier not log would display all items containing the keyword courier but NOT the keyword log. Not log would display all items EXCEPT those containing the keyword log.