This feature allows details of applications to be entered into HowNow so that each user can have an Application Toolbar of icons across the top of their HowNow screen that links to their commonly used programs.
The Application Toolbar also allows HowNow to open data records automatically if Records Management is installed.
To administer Toolbar Applications:
- File > Info > My Personal Details > Application Toolbar.
- The Toolbar Application Select Dialog will appear. This dialog lists details of applications that have been defined.
- Click the New button to create a new definition or the Edit button to edit an existing definition. In either case the Application Details dialog is displayed.
- This dialog contains the following fields:
- Application - The application type. Either select a pre-defined type from the drop-down list or enter your own. The format should be Type Version Number. This distinguishes between different versions of the same application and also allows HowNow to determine the version number itself. Example: MYOB16 or MYOB 16 or MYOB V16.
Note: Do not enter a version number after the type code if you want HowNow to always use the latest version of an application to open a file (and force an upgrade if necessary).
- Description - Enter a meaningful description of the application, including the version number. Example: MYOB Accounting v16.
- Application Path - This is the common path to the application's executable file (.exe). If each user has their own applications installed, leave this field blank. HowNow will use the path defined in the user's application toolbar settings instead.
Note: to use .RDP files, set the application path field to C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe “path to rdp file”.
- Application Sub-Type - Allows HowNow to handle applications that require additional processing in order to open correctly. Only choose a setting here if the application is Quickbooks, Quicken or Caseware.
- Icon - Leave this field blank to have HowNow extract the application's icon from its executable file or enter a path to a suitable icon file.
- Parameters - The default is "%1". Do not change this unless instructed to do so by HowNow Support.
- Startup File - Leave this field blank. It is used for special types of applications.
- Include File - Leave this field blank. It is used for special types of applications.
- Data File Extensions - Enter the file extensions associated with this application. Enter multiple extensions with a semicolon in between. For example, .MYO;.BOX.
Note: The main data file should be the first extension in the list.
- Show on the list of Client Data Record Application - Check this option if this application should be shown on the list of available data record applications.
The Profile tab contains each person's personal information.
- Address: Enter the address if required. This information is used to address letters that may be sent to the person. Check the Show checkbox if you want this information displayed in the organisation area.
- Email: Enter the person’s work email address. Note: this address is required if a document or record is emailed.
- Mobile/Work/Home phone: The mobile and home phone numbers will appear in the Organisation area of HowNow if the Show check boxes are checked. The work number is always displayed.
- Birth Month and Day: Enter the person’s birth anniversary details. Check the Show checkbox if you want this information displayed in the organisation area and on the Home Page.
- Date Started: Use this field to record the person’s start date. Check the Show checkbox if you want this information displayed in the organisation area and the Home Page.
- Mentor: Use this field to select a mentor if required. Check the Show checkbox if you want this information displayed in the organisation area.
- Qualifications: Use this field to record the person's qualifications. Check the Show checkbox if you want this information displayed in the organisation area.
The Other Settings tab contains additional personal information.
- Filter Level: Sets the level to which HowNow initially displays the left-hand filter panel items. A lower number shows less detail; a higher number shows more detail.
- Record Location Level: Sets the level to which HowNow initially displays record locations on various dialogs. A lower number shows less detail; a higher number shows more detail.
- Default Record Date Range: Sets the default date range on the Records Tab, provided the System Options has been set to allow users to select their own default.
- Default Record Date Type: Sets the default date type to either Modified, Added, Created or Finalised.
- Open at Tab: Select the tab that is opened when HowNow starts, provided the System Options has been set to allow users to select their own default.
The options are:Last Opened – Open at the last tab viewed.Tab Name – Opens at the selected tab
- Folder to Monitor: Allows the user to choose which folder on their system they would like HowNow to monitor when using the Monitor a Folder function. The default is My Documents\HowNow\.
- Minimise HowNow to the System Tray: When ticked this adds a HowNow Icon to the System Tray and when the main HowNow window is minimised it is removed from the taskbar and minimised to the tray. To restore HowNow simply click on the HowNow icon in the System Tray.
- Default Partner, Manager and Reviewer: Values selected here are used as the defaults whenever a partner, manager or reviewer is requested.
- Default MailScan Path: Specifies the default location of scanned files to be imported via MailScan Files Import.
- Open HowNow Full Screen: Select this checkbox if you wish to have HowNow display full screen (i.e. maximised) when HowNow is first opened. Leave this checkbox unselected if you prefer to have the HowNow application cover only part of the screen when first opened.
- Connect to Outlook to determine Email Bookmarks - Outlook Security Manager is now used when connecting to Outlook for email bookmarks - this removes the Outlook security prompt "Allow or Deny"
Alerts enables an individual user to control how they are personally alerted in HowNow.
Note: only those alerts set to User Select in System Options > Alerts can be changed.
- Alert Name: check this box to enable the individual alert area.
- Alert Type: select the type of alert to be received. The options are:
HowNow Alert: display an alert message in the bottom left of the screen.
Email: send alerts via email.
- Alert Frequency: select the frequency with which alerts are to be displayed. The options are:
As Events Occur: alerts are sent immediately.
1 Day: delay sending by 24 hours.
3 Days: delay sending for 3 days.
7 Days: delay sending for 7 days.
This area allows a person to add or edit their image. The image type needs to be JEPG (*.jpg) or bitmap (*.bmp)
Click Load Image, browse to the appropriate file anywhere on your network, select the file, and then click Open.
Note: Only the administrator can add or edit a photo.
Note: As pictures are only displayed on-screen in 72dpi, creating files with a resolution greater than 72dpi simply wastes hard drive space.